Malicious app hides itself, downloads other threats, displays ads, and is mainly targeting users in India, U.S., and Russia.
Symantec has observed a surge in detections for a malicious Android application that can hide itself from users, download additional malicious apps, and display advertisements. The app, called Xhelper, is persistent. It is able reinstall itself after users uninstall it and is designed to stay hidden by not appearing on the system’s launcher. The app has infected over 45,000 devices in the past six months.
Symantec advises users to take the following precautions:
- Keep your software up to date.
- Do not download apps from unfamiliar sites.
- Only install apps from trusted sources.
- Pay close attention to the permissions requested by apps.
- Install a suitable mobile security app, such as Norton or Symantec Endpoint Protection Mobile, to protect your device and data.
- Make frequent backups of important data.
Read the full story here: https://www.symantec.com/blogs/threat-intelligence/xhelper-android-malware
(Image Courtesy: https://pixabay.com/)